If hackers gain access to your site, they can force it to distribute malware to your unsuspecting visitors. Their computers could get infected with viruses, spyware, adware, keyloggers or other malware. SparkTrust scans detect if your website is spewing malware and our security professionals can help fix the problem.
The business impact of malware
If your site is distributing malware, it can have a major effect on your business. Online shoppers often make their purchases based on trust. If they suspect they have received malware from your website, they will not return. Financial institutions may also cut ties with sites known to be infected.
Another problem with malware is that it often results in your site getting blacklisted by Google and other search engines, browsers such as Chrome or Firefox, and anti-virus software. This effectively blocks traffic to your site and brings your online traffic to a standstill, causing a major hit to your reputation.
If you are not familiar with security solutions, infections can take time to clean up. This means that your site is likely down for a while.
SparkTrust security experts to the rescue
Cybercriminals sneak malware onto your site in various ways. Some common methods include:
- Using XSS (cross-site scripting) and SQL injections to attack older and not adequately secured applications
- Taking advantage of a compromised web server, often an effective tactic when it comes to shared servers
- Posting malicious links on your blog, forum or other interactive parts of your website
- Utilizing externals ads to infect users. Your site might be safe but the third-party ad you are serving might not be!
- Using third-party add-ons and plug-ins
- Any website vulnerability targeted by hackers.