Is your PC infected with a Virus?
Problems: A virus or malware infection can cause numerous problems on your PC. This can include anything from a slow computer to having your online banking credentials stolen.
Symptoms: A virus infection can manifest in many different ways. You may have numerous pop-ups or notice unfamiliar programs. Your files may be missing or you may notice that your PC isn't performing like it should.
Recommendation: Viruses should be removed as soon as possible. Follow the solutions below, which range from a malware and pc performance diagnostic to anti-virus solutions.Solution 1: Malware & Performance Diagnosis
Diagnose and Remove Malware
SparkTrust PC Cleaner Plus can fix many system problems, including removing malware.
Follow the steps below to find and remove malware running in Active Processes.
- Step 1:
- Start the Download for the SparkTrust PC Cleaner Plus Malware Removal Tool.
- Step 2:
- Click Run or Open and install as directed.
- Step 3:
- After scanning, simply click Fix All to register the application and remove active malware.
What to do if I have a virus?
A virus on your computer can mean small trouble, like annoying and persistent pop-ups, or big trouble - like a hard drive crash. In either case, you should get rid of a virus as soon as possible. You can always employ virus software to identify and eliminate harmful viruses, but this requires downloading a new program. Sometimes a virus won't allow you to download an anti-virus program, so you’ll have to remove the virus manually while the computer is in safe mode. If you don't know the name of the virus, you can also run a scan in safe mode.
How do I remove a virus? Follow the additional solutions below.
Solution 2: Manually Delete the VirusIf you know the name of the virus, you should be able to delete it manually in Safe Mode.
To get rid of the virus:
- Back up any important documents or data. Just in case something goes wrong when you are attempting to delete the virus, it's vital to create a back up of your files on a flash drive, external hard drive, or another storage device. If you think that the virus is affecting one particular program or file, don't transfer that one to the storage device.
- Restart your computer by opening the Shut Down menu and choosing Restart. When your computer starts to reboot, hit the F8 key as soon as you see anything on the screen. The F8 key is typically along the top of your keyboard. If you have a laptop, you will need to press the "fn" key before you press F8.
- Choose "Safe Mode with Networking" from the list of startup options and wait for your desktop screen to appear. In safe mode, the desktop icons are often magnified, and this is normal. You can still click on and interact with the icons as usual.
- If you know the name of the virus affecting your computer, press the Windows key on your keyboard and then the "r" key to bring up the run box. Type "cmd" (without quotation marks) into the text field in the run box. Hit "Enter" to bring up the command prompt screen.
- Type: DEL [virus name] (without the brackets) into the command prompt screen. Hit the Enter key to delete the file from wherever it lives on your hard drive. Once you reboot your machine, the virus file will be gone.
Solution 3: Downloading a virus program while in safe mode
- If you don't know the name of your virus file, type "iexplorer.exe" (without quotation marks) into the run box to open Internet Explorer.
- Click on the Tools icon and choose Internet Options. Choose the Connections tab and then click LAN Settings..
- Uncheck the box next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN" and click OK twice to get out of the Internet Options window. You should now be able to use your online connection to run a virus scan on your device and locate the virus for removal.
- Go back to the run box and type "iexplorer.exe" (again, with no quotation marks). This time, add the URL for the virus scanning tool that you want to use. For
example, you might type: iexplorer.com http://downloads.sparktrust.com/av/.
If you use the URL specifically for a virus tool download, you will see a download security box immediately. If you just enter the URL for a landing page, navigate to the virus removal tool and start it. A good virus removal tool is SparkTrust AntiVirus
- Click "Save" in the download security box. When prompted, select your desktop as the destination for the download - this is the easiest way for you to find the download later. Wait for the setup/installation program to download to your computer.
- Go to your computer desktop. Locate the icon for the installation program you just downloaded - the first part of its name will probably be the name of the virus removal tool. Double-click the icon to open the program.
- Click "Run" in the download window to begin the installation process for your virus removal tool. Follow the on screen prompts to choose the language for your download, and approve any license agreements.
- Once the virus scanner has completed its installation, open the virus tool on your computer if it doesn't launch automatically.
- Complete a full scan of your computer. Your virus scanning tool will identify and quarantine and threats on your device. If asked, always approve all threats being removed from your computer. Write down the file name(s) of the identified viruses.
- Reboot your computer in regular mode. Your virus should be gone. If you still experience problems, restart your computer in safe mode again. Use the virus file name(s) you wrote down and repeat the virus deletion procedure under Option 1.
- Minimum System Requirements
- 20 MB free hard disk space for initial installation
- Microsoft IE 6.0 and above
- Logged on as administrator
ABOUT SSL CERTIFICATES
Operating System RequirementsWindows 7 (32 & 64-bit), Vista (32-bit), XP (32-bit)